Boots in turnout, coconut oil, PSSM, and more!
Questions answered in this episode:
- Boots during turn out, I see lots of people turning horses out with brush boots and splint boots. Does this help or hurt the horse in any way? I’ve heard some people say it will make the horse’s legs weaker because they rely on the boots for support. Is there any truth to this? Is there any circumstance where boots would be beneficial during turnout?
- Is it safe to feed coconut oil? What are the benefits?
- At what age is it ok to start a young horse on a joint supplement? My 3 yr old QH is just starting her riding training and was wondering if she should be on a joint supplement? 🐴
- We are looking for footing options for our horse’s paddock. They are only in the paddock during nighttime. What are some of your suggestions for affordable paddock footing?
- PSSM types 1 & 2. What’s the difference? How to manage in terms of diet, exercise and feeding, any supplements that help? Which is worse in terms of maintenance and quality of life for the horse?